Drinkaware is expanding the research team with a new exciting career opportunity.
Drinkaware is a national charity. Our mission is to prevent & reduce the misuse of alcohol, delivered through our 3 core workstreams – outreach, education and research. This is an opportune time to join the six-strong Drinkaware team at the start of a new 3 year strategic cycle. The 2022-2024 plans are research-led and the newly created role of Research Officer will therefore be a key part of the Drinkaware team, seizing opportunities to inform and influence research activities during 2022. All duties within this role will be carried out in compliance with Drinkaware Vision, Mission and Values (www.drinkaware.ie).
Job Title: Research Officer
Reporting to: Research and Impacts Manager
Duties & responsibilities
- Contribute to the research activities of Drinkaware during 2022 and input into the development of the research operational plan
- Deliver and report on the 2022 research-related commitments using agreed measurements.
- Support data collection, analysis and daily project management of research activities during 2022
- Ensure all research development is evidence-based
- Source materials for scoping papers and reports that are accessible to all
- Review of initial scoping exercise and expand/continue writing draft papers as part of research paper series
- Write and research with rigor. Recommend and pen influential material for publication and peer review, and regularly contribute to a content calendar
- Initiate a series of research projects (including qualitative research with a sample of parents focusing on their experiences of drinking at home since COVID-19; scoping paper on inequities and the alcohol harm paradox; mix of both qualitative and quantitative research to help maintain, sustain and improve Drinkaware programmes) in collaboration with other Drinkaware team members to deliver on agreed priorities in the operational plan.
- Assist and support the Research and Impacts Manager with the roll-out of a series of ongoing research projects during 2022 and deepen understanding of issues relating to alcohol use/misuse in Ireland
- Assist in the planning and facilitation of Drinkaware’s quarterly Research Briefing events/webinars
- Communicate across all stakeholder groups, helping to inform the wider community in relation to research on alcohol in Ireland…
- Credible representation of Drinkaware at relevant events as required.
- Contribute to programme excellence at all times – Ensure Drinkaware’s research is rigorous and data reliable.
- Manage/support Drinkaware’s research partnership/supplier relationships and deliverables
- As a collaborative member of a small dynamic team assist members of team across work activities where necessary
This is not an exhaustive list as additional duties and functions may need to be carried out in line with the role.
- Qualification in Social Sciences e.g. social research/social policy/sociology/psychology plus related disciplines
- A proven track record (minimum 3 years) in undertaking research projects.
- Relevant post-graduate qualification or alternatively extensive experience in working in a research environment.
- Excellent organisation skills including project planning, prioritisation and time management.
- Experience of creating concise evidence-based papers to influence stakeholders.
- Experience of undertaking qualitative and quantitative research projects.
- Ability to collaborate work with all levels internally, and with external stakeholders, and to be a team player with the ability to develop and maintain good interpersonal relationships.
- Exceptional attention to detail and the ability to manage a diverse workload.
- Strong numeracy skills and a data analytics capacity
- Strong proficiency in Microsoft excel
- Excellent writing and analytical skills
- Excellent written and verbal communications skills
- Strong attention to detail
- Good inter-personal skills
- Ability to work on own initiative and to be flexible and adaptable
- Previous experience of working in an area of public health, and a general understanding of the charity and not-for-profit sector in Ireland is desirable but not essential. Strong commitment to the issue of alcohol and prevention/reduction in alcohol harm
Terms: This is a 12-month contract (35 hour week) position. Salary is €32-€35,000 per annum depending on experience, with 25 days annual leave. Please apply with a cover letter and CV and examples of work to firstname.lastname@example.org by 5pm on Mon 31st Jan 2022.
Drinkaware is an equal opportunities employer
Read more about our work in research.